71: Vanessa Van Edwards – How to Develop Your People Skills for Business
People are not only essential for our growth but also give us a lot of happiness.
You know how important people skills are. You know how important charisma is. You know that human interaction and building relationships are both huge parts of building your own business and brand. But did you know there are things you can do to help people trust you within the first seven seconds of meeting you? Probably not.
I first heard Vanessa Van Edwards on a couple other podcasts, and thought the work she was doing at Science of People was so cool that I had to have her on the show. She has a company called the Science of People, where she is researching the science of what makes humans tick, why we act the way we do, and how we can hack our own behaviors.
Listen in to hear us talk about how to start conversations, the best place to stand at a party, what charisma actually is, the power behind a smile, and much more.
There’s so much more to us than what we show up as.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- What is the Science of People [4:30]
- How she started studying people [6:40]
- Why being yourself is the best way to be [9:15]
- What is charisma [10:45]
- How do you learn charisma [13:25]
- Why you have to try to get people out of automatic [17:15]
- Why it’s good to start a conversation once people get their first drink [18:55]
- What is the iceberg illusion [22:00]
- What is an ambivert [24:35]
- Why it’s important to know how you refuel [26:25]
- Why she started studying happiness [29:50]
- The relationship between mastery and happiness [32:40]
- Why artists should share their narrative [38:15]
- The value of setting expectations and collateral [42:25]
- How the psychology of selling is all about trust [43:45]
- How to get someone to trust you in seven seconds [45:15]
- Why you have to accept if there wasn’t a spark [52:55]
- The power of the smile [1:00:10]
- Check out Vanessa’s site Science of People
- Take the 20 questions test to find out what kind of person you are
- Take the Science of People’s Happiness Audit
- Read more about how to make a graceful exit
- Sign up to learn how to increase your influence
- Listen to Vanessa on Lewis Howes’ School of Greatness podcast
- Music Credit: A Place for Me ft. Jessica Main by Arpyem