156: Srinivas Rao – Creating For Your Audience of One
“When you expect nothing, everything comes to you.”
As creatives, we are constantly trying to balance our desires to hone our craft and our vision and promote our work to the world, often times chasing what we hope will make the biggest impact on other people. But our guest today is here to tell you that there is only a very small audience you should be focusing on: yourself.
Today, I’m with Srinivas Rao, host and founder of The Unmistakable Creative podcast, conducting over 600 interviews with thought leaders and people from all walks of life, and author of the Wall Street Journal bestseller “The Art of Being Unmistakable”, “Unmistakable: Why Only Is Better Than Best”, and “An Audience of One: Reclaiming Creativity for Its Own Sake”. Srinivas’s work has been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Inc, Business Insider, and The Blaze.
Listen in to today’s episode as we go over a ton of different topics around creative people and the creative process, from technology’s role in our work, the role of spiritual practice in creative work, and process-oriented work.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And please leave me a Rating and Review!
“When it comes to creative work, the only thing you control is your effort.”
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How Srinivas’s career in podcasting started in the blogging world [4:07]
- Why success is predicated on making large volumes of unremarkable work [5:58]
- The importance of focusing on the process instead of the outcome in growing as an artist [8:48]
- The acceleration of technology and what that means for the future of the creative [11:28]
- How to manage the paradigm shifts in your industry as a creative [19:14]
- What inspired Srinivas’s new book [26:29]
- The most valuable thing an aspiring author can do [32:45]
- How Srinivas changed from being a spiritual skeptic, especially in the creative process [34:13]
- Why expectation kills the creative process [38:51]
- What has been most beneficial for helping Srinivas let go of expectation over the last year [43:39]
- Why Srinivas believes people should value their time more highly [50:35]
- The systems that Srinivas has in place to make his work better, easier, and more efficient [52:04]
- What’s next for Srinivas [56:53]
- Unmistakable Creative
- An Audience of One: Reclaiming Creativity for Its Own Sake
- The Scenic Route: A Way through Madness
- The Architects of Reality
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
- Wait But Why Year One: We finally figured out how to put a blog onto an e-reader
< Upload to Libsyn, Ensure the Smart Track Player and Media URL is connected to the blog post. To do this: