105: Nick Onken – Does Social Media Kill Creativity?
“Social media is a time thief of anyone who wants creative greatness.”
Today on the show I’m talking about something that has been on my mind: Is social media killing your creative success? Lately I have found myself getting sucked down the creativity death trap that is social media – Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram – all of it. I get so much less done because of these internet rabbit holes! Not only does social media kill my creativity because it takes me out of my creative flow, but it also just takes away from my productivity.
This podcast is about checking in with yourself – ask yourself how much you’re consuming versus how much you’re creating. And let me know what you do to keep yourself off of social media and in the artistic and creative zone.
“The more we consume, the less we create, and that is inhibiting the trajectory of our creative journey.”
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- The problem with breaking out of the flow [1:30]
- What about social media is so enticing [2:10]
- What is the resistance [2:40]
- Why you have to create a checkpoint for yourself [3:40]
- How consuming social media can hold you back [4:50]
- What do you do to keep your creativity flowing [5:30]
- Read Steven Kotler’s The Rise of Superman
- Read Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art
- Music Credit: The Mysterious Key by Jol3x