58: Brian Sirgutz – How to Integrate Empathy Into Art and Technology
I think a lot of people’s success is going to come from standing for something.
In this age of technology, it’s easy to lose that sense of empathy, to feel disconnected and alone even while oversharing.
That’s why Brian Sirgutz is trying to change the way we connect. Founding member of Causecast and former SVP of Social Impact and Innovation at Huffington Post, Brian wants to change the world, balancing giving and getting to empower the experience of human connection.
Brian is a brilliant mind when it comes to impact and technology. He is all about being the best person you can be, so that you can change the world. And he believes that integrating empathy into your art and into technology can make the world a better place.
Brian is a truly empathetic, inspirational person, with a unique, sweeping perspective on the state of the human experience. I can’t wait for you to hear this interview.
Thanks for listening.
Is too much connection, is too much information, is too much access a bad thing?
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- The idea behind Huffington Post Impact [2:30]
- How social media helped Impact [3:55]
- His beginning with music management [6:50]
- The power of using technology to connect the user and the content [9:30]
- The mystique of artistry [10:35]
- Representing yourself as a musician in a way that doesn’t conform [12:50]
- The importance of listening to your truth without oversharing it [15:10]
- How his life hit rock bottom [17:50]
- How 9/11 changed his life and outlook [24:30]
- The balance of giving and getting [27:40]
- The natural state of wanting to help [29:55]
- Why we should all be aware of the butterfly effect [32:10]
- How we let people know what we stand for [35:00]
- Why experiences are the new luxury goods [36:55]
- How music separates generations [38:20]
- Redefining the American dream [40:25]
- The terminology of “socially good” movements [42:50]
- The future of the millennial generation [46:05]
- The power of the human connection [50:05]
- Why more isn’t necessarily better [53:25]
- The lottery mentality of celebrity [56:45]
- Why you shouldn’t take things too seriously [1:00:55]
- Why you can’t take things too personally [1:01:55]
- The value of failing [1:03:10]
- Being the best person you can be in order to inspire others [1:07:00]
- Learn more about Causecast, Brian’s first business
- Music Credit: Another Day in Paradise by Quinn