49: How To Create a Career in Art Part 6/15 – 5 Keys to Developing a Lens
If you try to be all things to all people, you will never rise to your greatest possibilities.
Creating a high profile career in fashion and lifestyle photography is gratifying, but what it took from me to get there is the real gift.
During the last ten years of creating this career, I’ve learned a few things that might be useful to the up-and-comers. In this collection of episodes I break down the process that I used to make a living with my art. These tips go beyond my world of photography and transcend into any creative venture.
The lessons can be useful if you’re into illustration, fashion design, fashion blogging, music, performing arts, writing or any other creative hustle. Think of it like the DNA of a creative professional. Think of it like the building blocks of inspiration.
This is the sixth installment of my 15 part series on how to make a career in art.
You’ll discover more about yourself artistically the more you create.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- The importance of developing a specific point of view [2:05]
- People want to see your artistic DNA [2:45]
- If you want to play on a higher level, you have to create a style that people want [3:05]
- Your point of view will become your brand [3:45]
- First, create! The only way to discover your style is by practicing your craft [4:35]
- Second, deconstruct! Analyze what art you like and don’t like [7:45]
- Third, develop personally. Always be evolving on a personal level [8:40]
- Fourth, be patient. Developing a point of view takes a long time [11:20]
- Lastly, stay true to yourself [12:00]
- You have to find a balance between art and commerce [13:15]
- I’m excited to be speaking at Adobe Max later this year
- Do your own Hundred Day Project
- Learn more about our next guest Elle Luna
- Read The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Listen to previous episodes in the How to Create a Career in Art series: Deconstruct & 10,000 Hours
- Check out the inspirational Lewis Howes, his podcast, and his interview on NIONradio
- Head over to Sally Hogshead’s site How to Fascinate
- Music Credit: Koi by SORA